Layout

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Oh no, I'm not falling for that again. If it doesn't have Siamese twins in a jar, it's not a fair!

Just a quick update before bed. For those waiting for the news, I am officially engaged now. We've had a date picked out for quite a while, but as of 3 weeks ago, it's official. here's my sapphire ring.

How'd he ask? Well, funny story. We drove out to Antelope Island with our bikes, parked at the end of the causeway, and went for a ride. The causeway is a really fun, really easy ride. The only catch is all the brine flies. I was not wearing an immodest shirt by any means - just a Ninja Turtle t-shirt - but still the flies flew down the neck and flew around in there until I pulled a Tarzan, pounded my chest, and killed them all. Blech!

Anyway, we rode the 7 miles to the entrance and the 7 miles back to the van. After I killed the new batch of flies, we drove to a rocky area where we took pictures with a group we camped with a few weeks before - the view of the sunset there is always breathtaking.

We climbed the rocks so we were far away from the other people and watched the sunset. Joe bent down to pretend to tie his shoe and came up with the ring. While I wasn't totally surprised (I tried it on 2 days before), it was still perfect for us. There we were, covered in sweat and dead bugs, watching the sunset on Antelope Island.

I said yes, and he pulled a dead brine fly out of my hair (no joke!). It was pretty great. :) We went to Chef Tom's and got some cheap but fantastic Italian - which is also us! What's wrong with cheap if it's delicious, right? Best alfredo ever! We stopped at FYE, looked for the absolute worst movie we could find, and watched Frogs at his house.

That's the story! I've just been busy shopping for a dress and reserving reception centers and whatnot since then. I'm still in favor of elopement, but, as Joe so rightly put it, "we need stuff." Hehe.

Other things going on? I joined Joe's family on a trip to Cedar City a week later to see the final weekend of the Shakespearean Festival. I'd never been before, and I loved it. We saw Winter's Tale on Friday night, then Dial M for Murder on Saturday (obviously not a Shakespeare, but I do love me a good Hitchcock script.). We had tons of fun!

This picture is from a hike we took in Kolob Canyon (which is technically a part of Zion National Park, but it's accessed somewhere funky and very few people know about it). Pretty, right?

One last picture for the road. This is my favorite engagement picture, taken 2 weeks before actually being engaged so's not to miss those leaves:

3 comments:

  1. We were totally going to elope! We had our tickets picked out to WA and everything. But a few days after- my mom got "Mom Feeling" and said we better not elope and they are willing to pay for a full wedding. Crazy right?! So happy for you. Love your story. JC 'officialy proposed with the ring' the day we did our pre-wedding pictures. How perfect... I was in my wedding dress already! hahaha.

    So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, mom super powers are incredible! I love that you two actually went far enough to plan your eloping out! I think you did what's right though. As my mom told me the other week when I was having some planning stresses, "There's nothing wrong with eloping, but you HAVE to tell your mother."

    Not that there's a choice, she will know anyway, right? I'm so happy for you two - really, you deserve all the happiness in the world! I think both your proposal stories are darling. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pout-a-licious,
    I am forever late responding to this, but frills, love the story. And the brine flies.

    Love,
    Antifreeze

    ReplyDelete