Layout

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Stonehenge Tower Abbey Castle of Bath

First off, sorry about the boring pictures -- I am posting with my phone and have taken very few pictures on it. I'll post good ones from the camera later.

Joe and I have been in London for three days now and are thoroughly enjoying ourselves. Right at this moment we are on a coach (bus. Good old Brits!) back to London from a tour. We saw Windsor castle, the Roman baths, and Stonehenge today.


Needless to say we were a bit rushed doing all that in one day, but we did see some amazing things... Like the originals of tons of paintings of royalty they use in history books and the tombs of several past monarchs, including Henry VIII. 

I learned a lot of things about a lot of different people from different times, but the most important thing I learned today  is this: I need to buy Pringles more often. They are magical. I sincerely hope they sell cheese and onion Pringles in the states, 'cause I bought a small pack in Bath today and I'd really like a repeat on those.

Yesterday we tackled Westminster Abbey and the Tower of London. Our guide at the Tower was a funny, dry, old tower guard who constantly threatened to lock the kids up in Beauxchamp. He informed us that most executions did not occur on London Tower, but "on Tower Hill, over there just beyond that ancient Tudor... Ice cream truck." I was also very amused by a little British girl there who looked about six years old and had never seen an English guard before. 

A tower guard led a group of them past, and she yelled "Mum, what are those?"

"What, the bayonets?"

"No, the men."

"Those are Beefeaters."

"No, not the Beefeaters, the other ones."

"Oh! Um..."

"They have big, tall, fllllooffy hats! I love big, tall, flooffy hats!"

Yeah, I had a good chuckle about that girl. We spent our first evening in London seeing The Mouse Trap at St. Martin's Theatre. It was great, but staying awake was quite a challenge after hardly sleeping in the last 30 hours.

Tomorrow we're checking out the British Museum and Buckingham Palace. We're hoping to get tickets to Comedy of Errors at The Globe for the evening, but we'll see what happens. If it's sold out (likely), we'll hit Les Mis instead. 

Until later, enjoy this picture of The Tower of London from Tower Bridge:


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment